Wednesday, November 20, 2019
Almost two years ago, anti-government journalist Caruana Galizia died in a car bomb attack in Malta. For a long time the police are in the dark. Now investigators on the island arrest a businessman. He is said to be involved in the murder.
A Maltese businessman has been arrested in connection with the murder of journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia. The Maltese Yorgen Fenech had been arrested at dawn on his yacht at sea, police sources said. He had recently tried to leave Malta.
The day before, Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat had surprisingly offered a pardon to a suspected middleman if he provided verified information on the identity of the mastermind of the murder of the investigative journalist. The head of government made the surprising offer after the Maltese police and Interpol had arrested a man last week. The man claimed to know who had ordered the deadly car bomb attack on the journalist.
53-year-old Caruana Galizia was killed in a bomb attack on October 16, 2017. She has regularly reported on corruption, money laundering and nepotism in Malta as a journalist. Some of the scandals also involved members of the government and the head of government himself and his family. Galizia's assassination triggered shock throughout the EU.
Three men who reportedly made the attack on the journalist are under investigation for murder, but it is still unclear who is behind the assassination attempt. In September, the Maltese government ordered an independent investigation into the case after, inter alia, relatives of the murdered journalist voiced doubts about the independence of the investigation.